Saturday, August 19, 2006

Off the needles and Onto the wheel


Off the needles:
Baby sweater finished! Does not fit her yet, which is good. I had visions of producing a sweater which baby had outgrown because I wasn't knitting fast enough!
This pattern was not written very clearly. I think all the instructions were there, but I often had to read them a few times to decipher what it is they were telling me to do next. And then I don't read very closely sometimes, so I had to rip out half the first sleeve because I had missed where I was supposed to decrease once at each end of the row, not at the beginning of every row.
This biggest problem was that the pattern called for a straight knit row every fourth row. Could I remember that???? No no no. Rip rip rip.
I am pleased with the result though and this was the first time I had used self striping yarn. Very pretty, and easier than working in multiple yarns the whole way through (a la Kaffe Fasset, except usually not nearly as beautiful!).
I am making another sweater next, same pattern, for my cousin's friend's baby. There will be no knit row every fourth row! This should make it knit up faster (again before baby is too big for sweater!).

On the wheel
Glorious pink, red, burgundy, brown merino roving for a **project** for a **family member**. Grandma is spinning up a few balls which I will dye a nice solid plum colour. This is the soft wool from the meadery still. I will knit one row plum and one row of my variegated for a subdued stripy look. That is the plan anyway. And the front of the project will be a pretty lacy pattern. I haven't decided what yet. Am contemplating the Grecian Urn stitch or something similar since the wool isn't really lace, and it is simply for a pretty pattern.

That is all the news for now...

No comments: