Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Shortbread

Holiday weight tip #1: Don't make the shortbread, rum balls and chocolate weeks before Christmas, they disappear! Whose idea was it to get a head start on the holiday baking anyway? It is alllllllll gooooonnnne! Sheesh. So now I have to make more. Made ginger cookies yesterday and am making batch #2 of shortbread right now.

Here is my Grandma's recipe:
1 lb butter
1 cup sugar
4 cups flour

Knead 20 minutes, roll out thickly and cut out shapes. Bake 325 degree oven 15-20 minutes.

My cousin and I were saying the other day that we can't figure out how Grandma had time with 5 kids (all only 1-2 years apart) to knead shortbread for 20 mins. I asked Dad the other day and he said they all looked after each other, most of the duties going to his oldest sister.

My recipe which makes half the above, but then if you eat it all you have to make more:
1 cup butter
1/2 cup icing sugar
2 cups flour

Knead 10 minutes or until you can't stand it any longer. Or the baby wakes up. Roll out thinly which makes them crispy and seemingly less calories. I cut them out with little cookie cutters, again less calories/cookie, just try not to eat more because of it. Bake at 325 degrees for 10-12 minutes.

To be honest this bunch isn't getting rolled out  at all. The icing sugar made it light and fluffy and I think I am just going to spoon it on the baking sheet. I tried this with a few the last batch and they were just as yummy!

No comments: