Friday, March 06, 2009

Sleep

The past few months I have learned a few things about sleep. I CAN survive on much less of it than I ever imagined. That 3 hours at a time seems like luxury. That I can't nap during the day (I kind of knew that but I managed to sleep when pregnant). That babies sometimes sleep better as infants than when they are teething.

And that there is an emotional response to lack of sleep, which borders on insanity.

The baby is up an average of every two hours every single night. When much smaller he slept through the night, or at least for 4 hours at a time. Then his teeth erupted. Two on the bottom. Two on the top. Then two more on the top. Probably two more on the bottom too, but I am not sure. Comfort for him is nursing close to me at night. How do I deny this? How do I change this? Lots of advice on the internet, from moms who have gone through this before, but mostly just sympathy and reminders that "This too, will pass."

Mr W was away for a week, but now he is home and takes on some of the earlier evening feeds, which helps me. It is nice to only get up 2-3 times instead of 5 or 6.

So we are hanging in there, but sometimes I think barely. Good thing spring is on the way and I can mentally plan my garden in the wee hours!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh man. I've seen a lot of friends go through this. Not me for many reasons, among them: I'd not survive! Best wishes to you for unexpected blocks of Sleep Time!