Sunday, February 22, 2009

On breastfeeding

I have had an awkward relationship with breastfeeding the little babe. I can`t say I love it. I can`t say it is the worst thing in the world. There are moments I hate it. Moments it is pretty cool. For the first six weeks it was the most painful thing - the baby wasn`t draining the milk (said the lactation expert) and so I was experiencing pain for several hours after a feeding. Now it is mostly better, although it still hurts sometimes. I like the convenience of it, I like how much the little one LOVES it. Does it keep him up more at night? It must, I am feeding him every 2 hours right now, though to be honest, he used to be a much better sleeper. I love it though, at those moments when I have him snuggled up to me and he is oh so content. Our little world is compressed into a little bit of space which is me and him. I don't know I am going to miss it when it is gone though.

And I must say I think that our society has gone a little too much "pro-breastfeeding" only in that you are made to feel very very guilty if you use formula at all. Yet I see many other mom's skulking in the formula aisle at Wal Mart too. After all, don't we all need a break? Doesn't Dad need the chance to bond with his son/daughter too? Yes, it is possible to pump, but when that was an option for me, it didn't give me the time away from my breasts and breastfeeding I needed (mainly when it was very painful to feed). Sometimes, it is best to leave all the guilt alone, and let people make the decisions for themselves that get them through the day I think.

1 comment:

John Champaign said...

Good for you! Thicken My Wallet had a recent post about "5 signs you are a pushover with your financial advisor" (clearly you're no pushover!).

I think you'll be happy with the couch potato strategy. The banks (and credit unions I guess) love to sneak their clients into high MER funds...