Sunday, November 19, 2006

Craft Fair!


Here is a picture of our lovely table at the craft fair last week. Sadly, I have to report that we were disappointed overall with sales. Very disappointed. But I will not dwell.

Starting on the left, Susan made lovely cloth bags and gorgeous cards with felt angels. I think the bags would make excellent knitting bags. They are light, and have pockets for needles.

Clare makes crocheted hats, along with her sister Esther (who wasn't there). She also makes the coolest bags out of 100% recycled materials. They come from signs, awnings, scrap vinyl, anything she can find. Clare also makes photo cards and photo magnets.

Here is my wool. Looks lovely doesn't it? Not one customer bought any :( However, it caught the eye of several other vendors, so I did have some sales in the end as well as fabulous trades (coffee, and soap).

So the good part of this adventure was bonding with Clare and Susan, who I really just have met. We had some fun crafting and waiting for customers to come by. The other great part was meeting some other wonderful crafty people here in Duncan. Turned out the Honey (when he stopped by) knew the woman who locally roasts coffee- her company is called Peaks Coffee. She also did a BSc in Forestry at UNBC. Small small world. Then we met some great women fibre artists- Kelly Burgess and her friend Caroline. Kelly makes very lovely and interesting quilts and Caroline had made the sweetest tea cozies I have ever seen.

These women are all keen on craft night, along with the fourth new acquaintance, Katie, who works at the local radio station here. She doesn't craft, but bakes so craft night at her house means she will be baking up a storm.

I am pleased meeting all these great women. Duncan really is starting to feel like a community to me!

On a final note (and probably very important) in 2 days on Nov. 21 at 9 am I will be defending my PhD dissertation. The day has finally arrived. I am scared, nervous etc., but I think that is normal. Let's hope when I next post I can call myself Dr. and it all will have been worth the pain :)

No comments: