Monday, July 17, 2006

So I can prove I am currently knitting! Here is the baby sweater I am making for my friend's new wee Pippa who arrived on the 8th. I thought a baby sweater would go faster than it is. This is the first sleeve though, and the front and back are finished, so I guess I am getting there.

What a bunch of hullabaloo in my life. We moved- bought a house in Duncan. What a lovely place, and it still hasn't sunk in that I am a home owner. There are boxes everywhere, we don't yet have curtains, and it will remain this way for awhile yet.

I am finishing my dissertation for submission to my committee as we speak. It has to get done in the next few days or else I won't graduate in November!

I started a new job last week, and then quit today. Sigh. Bosses are very unhappy, probably because I can't accurately tell them why I am leaving. Here is the low down (why is it easier to announce it to the public?).

I like to work for myself. The few days I was there were so frustrating to me. Everyone is unhappy, there are management problems, and I hate walking in to that. Never mind they don't have the software or hardware I need to do my spatial analysis. And no work, so I was bored for the 3 days I was there. On day 3 boss # 1 walks in and suggests if I want to go home to put my house in order that would be ok because they don't have work for me for 3 weeks. And get this, I still feel like apologizing, blaming myself for this whole mess. Arghhh, the scientific/academic world can be a pain in the a**.

And yes, I have been waffling for a few weeks, since I caught a wiff of these types of problems upon earlier visits to the office. The University pulled through though and I am so lucky to have a postdoc position now which will get me through somewhat. Now I have to go practice that independence and find work. Somebody?

The wool has suffered what with move, job upheaval, and dissertation deadlines. I am spinning the hemp, but it is slow going because of the short fibres. Maybe this is why I am feeling more insane than usual though???? Correlation here?

These two blogs have landed on my doorstep- they must have known I needed them :) (as my witchy friend would say).
http://sciencewoman.blogspot.com/
http://science-professor.blogspot.com/

Off to walk the doggies before S. gets home from his day in the field.

No comments: